Chole Tikki, a lip-smacking tikki loved all over India, these tikkis are enjoyed by the entire family, both young and old!
1½ cups chickpeas (chole), soaked for 6-8 hours and boiled
½ medium bunch fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
1½ teaspoons chole masala
1 teaspoon chaat masala
Salt to taste
2-3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Oil for deep-frying
30-40 grams processed cheese, cut into 1 cm small cubes
Green chutney for topping
Fresh mint sprig for garnishing
1. Coarsely grind together mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies and chickpeas in an electric food processor. Transfer in a bowl.
2. Add chole masala, chaat masala, salt and breadcrumbs and mix well.
3. Heat some oil in a non-stick pan.
4. Divide the chickpea mixture into equal portion. Make a cavity in the center of each portion, put few cheese cubes, bring the ends together and shape into tikkis.
5. Place each tikki in hot oil and shallow-fry from both sides on low heat till golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
6. Top with some green chutney and serve hot garnished mint sprig.