SCHEZWAN PANEER ROLLS
Crisp, spicy schezwan bread rolls made Jain style without any garlic or onions. Snack time treat indeed.
2 tablespoons Jain schezwan sauce
¼ cup grated cottage cheese (paneer)
8 white bread slices
2 teaspoons oil + for deep-frying
1 green chilli, chopped
¼ cup finely chopped mixed capsicums
1 raw banana, boiled, peeled and mashed
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 cheese slices
Tomato ketchup for serving
1. To prepare stuffing, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a non-stick pan. Add green chilli and sauté. Add mixed capsicums and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add raw banana, mix and cook for 1 minute. Add cottage cheese and mix. Add salt, parsley and Jain schezwan sauce and mix and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer in a bowl and cool.
3. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
4. Lightly roll the bread slices using a rolling pin to flatten.
5. Cut cheese slices into 3 equal strips.
6. Place a cheese strip on one side of each flattened bread slice. Put some stuffing on top, apply some water on the edges, roll and press the edges to seal.
7. Insert one toothpick in the center of each stuffed roll.
8. Deep-fry the rolls in hot oil till golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
9. Discard the toothpicks from the rolls, halve and serve hot with tomato ketchup.